Sunday, February 27, 2011

Self-Portraits, Cheap Brushes, and Finding My Groove.

Well kids, this has been a revelatory weekend. As I've mentioned in the past (Shaky, for instance), linework has often been a tricky issue for me, particularly if I'm inking with a brush.

So yesterday I sat down to ink a commission for a client, and when I was looking through my brushes I found a cheapie that I picked up at Home Depot a few years back. Well, it turned out to be the best inking brush I've ever used. Put all my Windsor & Newtons to shame.

And armed with this trusty weapon, I cranked out the commission last night, and today I wanted to do more. I wanted something simple, 'cause the main point of the exercise was just to play with ink.

Anyhow, I finally decided upon a self-portrait:


Think I finally found my groove as an inker.